Metropolitan Electric Tramways No: 331
Although not currently supported by the LCCTT, it is included as a restored and operational London tram at the National Tramway Museum, Crich.
This was the third and final experimental Feltham tram built by the Union Construction Co. for the M.E.T. in 1929, nicknamed at the time, “Cissie”. The other two experimental trams, No: 319 and 330 were called “Poppy” and “Blossom”.
The tram being constructed for “pay as you enter” with the conductor standing at the door and taking fares on boarding, hence the central doors.
Like all of the remaining M.E.T. trams “Cissie” was transferred into the fleet of the newly formed London Passenger Transport Board and renumbered 2168. In September 1936 it was withdrawn from service and later sold to Sunderland Corporation as “Cissie” could not be converted for operation on the South London conduit routes due to the central entrance.
Modifications were made before it could be put into service again, including changing the current collector from twin trolleys to a pantograph and the removal of the driver’s seat and the air power to the doors. Its number was changed to 100 in the Sunderland fleet.
It was withdrawn from service in 1951.
It arrived at Crich in 1961, where it remained in as withdrawn condition until partial restoration under the sponsorship of British Steel whose colours it operated in at the Gateshead Garden Festival of 1990.
“Cissie” has since been restored to M.E.T. livery and forms an important member of the Crich operating fleet.